How Long Do Marijuana Seeds Take to Germinate?
This is actually a common question for those who are growing marijuana from seeds. The success of your marijuana seeds germination depends on the type of germination method you used. We can recommend the water soaking + paper towel germination method and we can actually guarantee you of at least 80% success rate.
Normally, seeds will start to crack and show the first tap root (white hair like root) within 24 to 48 hours after you start the germination process. Don’t give up if you don’t see germination in 3 days or more because some seeds may take up to 7 days or more to germinate. Keep them moistened or you can shake them in a pill bottle in 1 minute to slightly loosen the shell but do not overdo it.
Even if you follow the method by heart, there are still some times that you won’t get your expected germination. This is because you missed some important things that the marijuana seeds need. Cannabis seeds need the following to get the best germination success rates:
1. Moisture – this is the number one reason why people fail to germinate their seeds or there is a delay for the seeds to germinate. Most people who get a 0% germination do not keep their seeds moistened.
2. Warmth – this doesn’t mean that you are putting them in a hot place or location. Keep them in a room temperature or 21 to 29.4 degrees Celsius. They need it to sprout.
3. Gentle Handling – you must move sprouted seeds gently.
4. Undisturbed – put them in a place where they won’t be disturbed, away from pets and other disturbances which could hinder their germination.
5. Use Distilled Water – distilled water is safer than tap water. Tap water has many impurities and they could harm the seeds.
All seeds germinated but the sprouts died, what caused them?
Yes it happens. You did your best and followed the steps by heart then they die.
Why? You missed the following:
1. Correct Handling – you can use tweezers to carry the sprouted seeds. If you used your bare hands then you might have exposed them to impurities.
2. Correct Temperature – room temperature or 21 to 29.4 degrees Celsius. Over or beyond that is not good for your marijuana sprouts.
3. Correct Water – if you used tap water, then chance is they won’t germinate. If they do, then they might die or grow into an unhealthy plant.
4. Correct way of planting them – plant the sprout immediately as soon as you see the tap root under 1 inch. Do not delay or they’ll die. Transfer them to rockwool or soil. When planting them in soil, they don’t need to have to be placed too far under the soil. About a half inch to 1 inch down should be good enough.
There you have it, I hope it answers your question about how long it takes for a marijuana seed to germinate. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.